Simple French Onion Soup
Author: Kyle K
Recipe type: Soup
- 2 tablespoons of olive oil or (salted butter)
- 3 medium red onions
- 3 medium yellow onions
- 1 cup of vegetable broth or beef stock...
- 1 tablespoon of balsamic vinegar
- 1 oz of cooking sherry
- 1 tablespoon of granulated sugar
- 1 loaf of french baguette
- cheese for the topping...Gruyere, cheddar or any other good melting cheese
- In a large pasta pot, set on high...add the oil, then the onions and let sauté on high heat for at least 30 minutes... constantly stirring. When the onions are brown and have softened, reduce the heat to a simmer until they become a fine puree...approximately 1-1½ hours... The mixture will resemble a very thick puree with whole pieces of onions and a paste like consistency.
- Now, its time to make the soup, add the stock and the balsamic but wait about ten minute before adding the sherry and sugar. If the onions are very sweet to the taste, avoid adding the sugar.
- Now that the soup is ready, place 4 ramekins on a cookie sheet, fill with soup ⅔ up to the top, then add in a slice of the french baguette and top with cheese. Place cookie sheet on the top rack of an oven set to broil, remove as soon as the cheese begins to melt...